Once Upon

Once Upon

Wednesday 28 August 2013

Peacocks, Twigs and Conkers...

I have to admit I do so like a bit of a nap of an afternoon, don't you know......
Despite being an annoyingly physically active person.... all boots, rucsac and 'where shall we go next'....I do enthusiastically concur with the notion of an occasional surreptitious siesta.
Its just so civilized.
Those folks who live in parts of the world where the midday heat suggests the sensible daily option is to rise early, retire in the afternoon, and resurface for late afternoon and evening sojourn, seems to me to be an admirable policy and one to be emulated... Climactic conditions a mere excuse.
It often gives rise to very welcome reflective, half dreamt musings as one drifts off into nap-land, the body being horizontal but the mind still 'up and about' prior to full immersion in mid-afternoon repose.

It was precisely so the other day, when I lazily dozed off in an outdoor chair, exhausted by the observation of flittering Butterfly activity on my backyard Buddleia....zzz.....Particularly taken by the colours of the Peacock.....zzzzzzz .....



.....and then for no discernible reason, as I drifted off, my thoughts re-ran an autumnal lake-land walk I had enjoyed with my daughter a while ago..when very little notable wildlife had been seen, dear readers, yet the general appreciation of the beautiful surroundings had instigated some surreal discussion..... the images now story-boarded in my dozing mind... complete with captions.

                      ....a serene start...strange to be walking downhill at the start of a mountain-walk....
                                     
                                           
                            
                                   ....lakeside perambulation pleasantly pleasant as one can see.......

...view ripe for a biscuit tin lid picture....

...ah sweet meandering shoreline of beauteous bounty...as Wordsworth would undoubtedly say...
                                                     

               ...meanwhile..Becki embarked upon 'the search for the perfect twig'...(don't ask, right)...

...which prompted much musing upon the concept of 'the lone-conker'...(don't ask, I said)...
                                       
                                          ...I continued my fascination for all things 'gatey'...

...no, since you ask...I don't know why either...

...however my gate perusal produces a pictorial study of contrasting contrasts via a gateway of gate-age..I shall call it 'Horizon Hinged upon the Shadow'.  It shall win a prize...

...and the search for the 'perfect twig' continues...with some happy results...

...nice swan (s)....

...and this, fellow pilgrims, is an old church lecturn, in an old church, upon which some old God books are placed...a very old church in an old deserted valley...

...this very old atmospheric church was next to a very old Yew tree which had been estimated to be 1300 years old. Yes, one thousand and three hundred earth years as a tree. It started living around 700A.D.....get yer heads round that....

...another pictorial study entitled 'Singular Cormorant of Linear Wing'....(prizes in the offing, clearly.)


...she of the tartan picnic rug smiles as the boat continues to float...

                                             ...if you listen carefully you can hear the sea...

                          ...she of the tartan picnic rug, again, this time windswept and interesting...
                                                   

...I shall call this pictorial study 'Retrospective Poop Deck Paradise'. It probably won't win a prize.



...I then awoke.....a Peacock butterfly perched cheekily on the glass of my Vesper Martini..yet..
the lone conker and the perfect twig sit proudly upon my mental mantle-piece...

             





















No comments: