Once Upon

Once Upon

Monday 20 May 2013

Silvas et Flumina

So.....here is the thing.....I am obscenely fortunate to live no more than a minute or so, as the corvid flaps,  from an area of ancient deciduous woodland. It plays host to several miles of unspoilt wooded river bank,  all of it bordered by undulating hedgerowed fields.  A beautiful local landscape which is a more than adequate, and much appreciated substitute, for my 'first choice' environment of mountain and crag. (which actually are not too far distant anyway).
 Inter silvas et flumina habitans.......as we say.....well....sometimes.
It is hard to describe (without sounding all hippy-drippy) the almost spiritual pleasure I get from wandering these familiar  woods, welcomed by the Beech, Oak, Birch, Chestnut, Ash and Hazel.....and accompanied by the abundant bird-life. Heron, Jay,  Merganser, Kingfisher, Mallard and Swan, amongst many others...all make star appearances heading the chorus of Tit, Blackbird, Thrush, Finch, Warbler, Wren and Robin etc etc etc.....with
Fox, Badger and Otter occasionally producing cameos.....
To be able to take an easy relaxed hour or so of quiet escape into this most natural of surroundings right on my doorstep..... is a gifted luxury. (I could, I suppose, pepper this bit of blog with a miriad of photographs accordingly, but I won't....don't want to give the game away too much....it's mine I tell you....all mine, mwah mwah mwah.(plus a few dog walkers).
 I live in a quiet street. In a small rural town.Pubs, shops, restaurants and local services all in a pleasant attractive locale. If I believed in karmic reincarnation....good for bad / bad for good  blah blah...I fear I am in for some deep dooh-dooh in the next life !!

No comments: