Once Upon

Once Upon

Tuesday 21 May 2013

Howay Days

It started a while ago.......being only a couple of easy hours drive from my home, to get up early-ish and spend a full day's energetic saunter amongst the hills in The Lake District, and then return home mid evening the same day, has become a bit of a pleasurable habit of mine.
The 'Monday Meander' may actually occur any old day of the week.....but as the first few jaunts just happened to happen on a Monday.....well, the name stuck.
For a whole raft of reasons, I instinctively head for Borrowdale.....an area I know well,  and a landscape I have emersed myself in over the years.
 As a rock-climber, I have dangled joyfully by my fingertips from it's crags and buttresses....I have sailed and kayaked it's waters, have camped and bivouacked amongst it's fells,  tramped over it's summits and passes, had ridiculous escapades in it's ghylls, gorges and woods..... and have many vague, slightly blurry recollections of succumbing to the fruits of it's various hostelries on many an occasion. Good times.
Anyway, nowadays, my days away on my away days.... away for the day,  tend towards the 'fell-walking' mode.... always highly enjoyable, but alternating between gentle hill-bound strolls and more challenging characteristic adventure..old habits die hard, it would seem. Photographic record of these errant escapades may become a bit of a feature amongst these bloggy mutterings.....bear with me.

No comments: